Wednesday, January 30, 2013

ADL-700 + MA-201 FET = good squared

Presonus ADL700 Channel Strip


 I recently got to use the new Presonus ADL-700 for a couple of nights. If you haven't heard, this is the new channel strip which is Presonus's response to the success of the ADL600, all tube dual channel preamp. It starts with one channel of the ADL600, and then hits a custom built FET compressor, and ends at a semi-parametric eq. Aesthetically, they kept with the same sleek design as its predecessor. It has sturdy knobs and switches which look and feel great. I used a Mojave MA-201 FET mic and recorded some vocal. I noticed straight away, like the '600, there's tons of headroom. The vocal was loud and I had the gain structure set a little hot, and, though it was drivey, it still sounded great and kinda gritty. This is probably accredited to the 300 volt power rails inside. It's very warm. Yes, warm (aural quality is indeed measured in temperature as it turns out). There's a variable impedance selector and a high pass filter which can roll off up to 200hz. The compressor, I found to be the coolest part of the unit. All the knobs are variable pots and it's very responsive. It sounded great and the harder I compressed, the top end sounded better and better. The EQ sounded great and even when exaggerated, it maintained smoothness and clarity. Each section of the unit can be bypassed and the EQ can be put before the compressor with the flip of a switch.The compressor's setting can link out of the back if you're chaining two units together for a stereo application. The unit feels, looks, and operates like a high-end piece. And it is. I only tried it on vocals but I imagine it would sound great on pretty much anything. Even an onion.We carry it here at the shop and you check one out starting around $50 for a weekend or $105 a month.  We are one of a few select dealers to stock this unit, so come buy some as well.



                                                  Mojave Audio MA-201FET

                                                           

    So speaking of the MA201FET, I rented it. I used it on vocals. It is designed by David Royer of Royer ribbon mics. This is a FET mic which means it's equipped with a type of transistor that some say closely mimics the tonal characteristics of tube mics without the tube. It's true, I guess. I found that this mic was very well balanced, clear, and had a nice top end. What I mean by balance, is proximity effect. It was very forgiving to the source, even when bobbing back in fourth from its position. Even with compression off, I didn't experience that cliff-like drop when your vocal gets a hair too far away and it maintained smoothness and clarity when right up on it. I really enjoyed that I never detected much harshness that can be inherant on non-tube mics, it's smooth. It's an impressive microphone with an impressive price point too (around $700). It certainly could hold its own even against it's big brother tube model MA-300 which is around double the price. It's worth trying if you wanna try a non-tube flavor of condenser mics.



Reviewed By: Rene C.

No comments:

Post a Comment