Friday, May 17, 2013

Making your next music video using Rock N Roll Rentals


This last weekend I took advantage of my job at Rock N Roll Rentals for making a music video. Few people know about the wide selection of A/V products that we carry, and I’m going to use this post to promote how easily you can make a music video or other video project using our awesome inventory.
For my project I rented two Canon MKII 7D’s, two shoulder-mounts, a Manfrotto tripod, and a Tokina wide-angle lens. Canon DSLR’s have quickly become an “industry standard” for capturing a high-quality image (1280x720p at 60 fps) through a camera where your lens selection is very wide, without having to spend $40k+ to use a RED camera or video-cameras that can collect high quality information. Though DSLRs are built for still-images the 7D is made with point and shoot ease of use in video, and can capture movie quality picture.

Using the shoulder-mounts my small crew was able to take moving shots with tripod stability, with the beautiful depth of focus that the 7D allows at 60fps. This high-quality information made it easy to create slow-motion shots, or cropping for image stabilization. For other shots we would put the two 7D’s at different angles in a room with one wide-angle shot that we could zoom (with the Tokina lens), and one still camera to pick up cross shots that we’re more focused on our subjects.

My band doesn’t have a big budget (less than $200), and we are currently editing something that looks like high-budget music video. These days making a music video is definitely a priority for bands (Youtube, Vimeo promotion), and very few bands have the money to make something that they could imagine could look like a “legit” music video. Using Rock N Roll Rentals, you can achieve a “label” quality music video or short-film with a budget less than $200!

We rent Tokina wide-angle lenses, as well as Canon’s stellar 50mm lenses for that artsy and thin depth-of-field look. You can use any of our DSLRs to do the same thing I did be that our T3I models for $36/reservation rate or our 5DmkIIs for $125/reservation. Rock N Roll Rentals is the cheapest camera/ A/V rental solution in the country, and should not be overlooked. 

I highly recommend you check out our video selections for your next project here: http://www.rocknrollrentals.com/filmvideo.html

-William Glosup

1 comment:

  1. I started going the rental route recently. It seems like you have a great setup. I went into get rentals in Fort Mcmurray and I honestly have been wondering why I haven't done this more often.

    ReplyDelete